We have an update on our saturation flyer campaign and worth the few minutes this will take to read. A few people asked us if they could see the other flyers we produced which was really exciting to hear.* We hadn’t planned on rolling them out on our blog so quickly but it did remind us of the process of putting these flyers together and we thought that might be worth sharing. Believe it or not, the idea was conceived about 6 months ago. We’d produced some remarkable illustrative work for Basement Books and as usual with the IYBI web site, we posted a “here’s what we’ve been up to lately” splash page**. The response was immediate and overwhelming. There’s nothing quite like customer feedback to get you motivated so we called a meeting and decided to create some new postcards. We’ve always liked the big enough / small enough angle with our marketing. It has a great ring but most importantly it’s true. And so began a 5 and a half month journey of trial and error with images, ideas and copy. We were sure we wanted to tell a story and so we decided on three designs. We knew we loved animals and insects and so decided on incorporating them into the story. The long and the short of it is we played, we printed drafts, we adjusted and we played once more. We’re happy with the final version and when we compare it to the first one (which we could have easily rolled out), we’re even happier we took our time.
*They either REALLY liked the graphic design and illustration on the first one or didn’t like it at all but… we’re guessing they wouldn’t have bothered dropping us a line if they didn’t like it. The local drop was done all around Sydney.
**We think CMS managed splash pages are way cool. Especially if they have an on/off button that you can manage.